Natural products are a chemical compound produced by a living organism. They also prepared by chemical synthesis. In a broader sense, natural products are anything that is produced by life and include the likes of biotic material (wood), bio-based material(bioplastics), or other natural material(soil, coal).
Natural products derived from plants as a source of drugs: Natural products have been the single productive source of leads for the development of drugs. It has been recognized that natural products have high chemical diversity, biochemical specificity and molecular properties that make them leads structure for drug discovery. Many drugs are a synthesis in the laboratory but most medicine and recreational drugs growing in the desert, forest, and field etc. Following are the main drugs that exist in nature.
- Opium poppy(heroin, codeine, morphine): The poppy is sliced while still in bud form and the milky fluid that bleeds out is dried, becoming raw opium. After a long process of adding the dangerous chemical, cooking and filtering increase the potency of drugs.
- Blue Agave: In alcohol fragmentation process when Yeats eats the sugar of whatever plant is used. In Tequila sugar come from the beautiful blue agave. After it’s roasted and mashed, it provides the sugar that, once properly rotted leaves behind the alcohol.
- Coca leaves: Coca leaves have to go through some ugly steps to become cocaine- gasoline soaks, powdered cement and battery acid baths are all needed to condense the naturally occurring leaves into a legal narcotic.
- Psilocybin mushroom(shrooms): Psilocybin, the naturally occurring compound that causes the euphoria and psychedelic trios associated with shrooms, can be found in over 200 species of mushrooms. Different mushrooms have a different concentration of psilocybin. Consuming unknown mushrooms may send you on a trip that takes you much further than you indeed.
- Willom bark: Salicylic acid, found in willom bark , has cooled fevered brows across the world for millennia. The father of medicine also used it to recommend chewing the bark to reduce fevers and inflammation in his patients.
- Sassafras root(ecstasy): Root beer and sarsaparilla are used to have actual sassafras oil in them for flavour. They don’t anymore since the chemical in soil safrole is now a controlled substance.
- penicillium mold (penicillin): It was the first drug to effectively combat bacterial infection, leading to cures of an untold number of afflictions, from strep to syphilis.the discover fleming didn’t think that it works on people and never try to make medicine out of it.that was done later year by Australian Nobel laureate Howard Walter Florey together with German Nobel laureate Ernst Chain.