Herbal is “descriptions of plants put together for medicinal purposes”. Herbal is a book about plants with references to their medicinal properties. Herbal were often illustrated to assist plant identity. Herbal is derived from the mediaeval liber herbalis (“book of herbs”).
Herbs: Herbs refers to the flowering or leafy part of the plant which is used for flavouring and garnishing the food, in medicines or as fragrances.
Herbal medicine: Herbal medicine is the oldest and widely used system of medicine in the world. The medicine is made exclusively from plants. The different medicine comes from the different culture. All these have medicinal plants in common, but vary in their uses, or they the way of preparation. Different culture has the different way of preparing medicines.
Why we use herbal medicine?
The usage of herbs to treat a variety of different ailments is universal or exists in every society. 80% of the world population use herbal medicine as a primary health care. Herbal medicine is largely used in the developing countries because in that nations pay resource is limited they can’t pay the high-cost modern medicine. And the main reason behind the use of herbal medicine is that they are totally safe, no side effects of herbal medicine. People can easily purchase it.
Medicinal uses for specific herbs: The main aim of herbal medicine is to return the body in the natural balanced state so that they heal themselves. Following are the common herbs that are used in herbal medicine that are:
- Ginger: Ginger is useful in treating nausea including morning sickness or motion sickness.
- Garlic: It reduces the risk of heart diseases by lowering the level of blood fats or cholesterol in the human body.
- Ginseng: It used to treat the weakness and lowering the blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Echinacea: It stimulates the immune system of the body.
- Dong Quai: It used for gynaecological complaints such as period pain, premenstrual tension.
- Ginkgo biloba: used to treat poor blood circulation.
Effects of herbal medicine:
At the time all nation use herbal medicine because it is safe and easily affordable but with their good result, they have side by side bad effects as well. Following are some advantages as well as the disadvantage of herbal medicine :
- Reduce the risk of side effects– The herbal medicine is made from herbs, so they have less risk of side effects as the comparer of traditional medicines.
- Lower cost: The Herbal medicine is available at very low cost. Research, Testing, Marketing add considerably to the cost of perception medicine.so people more prefer the Herbal medicine than perception medicine.
- Effective with chronic condition– Herbal medicine is more effective for long standard health complaints that don’t respond to traditional medicine.
- More productive– Herbal medicine is known to be more productive in comparison to other medication in curing the certain condition. They can’t mix with chemical components.
- Availability– The Herbal medicine is Easily available without any perception at a regional rate.
- A risk with wild herbs– The herbal medicine some time cause allergic reaction to a consumer if they consume wild herbs. before resorting to herbal medicine always ensure that you are not allergic to the particular herb that you are consuming.
- Inappropriate for many conditions– Herbal medicine is ineffective for serious ailments. It can’t cure broken legs, arms nor it deals with a heart attack issues.
- Risk of overdose instruction– An individual takes himself in harm through self-dosing with herbs. Many herbs cannot come with dose instruction so it affects the individual.
- Lack of regulation– Many times the consumers runs the risk of buying the inferior quality of herbal medicine. The Herbal products vary in brands, batches etc. This can make more problem to prescribe the proper dose of herbs.